Tuesday, July 21, 2015

And she's aged like a fine wine

So, it's no secret (or maybe it is) that I've battled various levels of depression for years now.
From just feeling a little bit sad, to bursting into tears all the time, to just not wanting to be me. I've been on so many rollercoasters I cant count them anymore. Emotional, Situational, Mental. Over the years I've taught myself different ways to cope, but sometimes when you're at the lowest of lows, its really hard to remember what those ways are, and to believe that they will work.
It's easy to forget that depression affects everyone. It affects those that look to be leading the perfect life, it affects those that are able to show they're hurting, it affects those that are not able to show they are hurting. Those that have lost someone. Those that have never had anyone. Those that have the wrong someone. Those that have the right someone. Everyone.

The past 6 months have been all over the place for me emotionally and mentally. I had forgotten until recently, that Music is the first thing to try to pull me out of this mess I am in. It has only been a few weeks of regularly taking time out for myself to listen to music, and a few months of once again playing music to realise I do have a place for those emotions to go.

I have often heard people mock emotional attachments to music, and of peoples fondness for music that speaks to them. It's not something that will work for everyone. It works for me.
Sometimes hearing a song with lyrics that describe something I've been through, helps you feel not alone. Sometimes a song with powerful lyrics can be just enough motivation to get you through the day.
I listen to music of all genres. I really don't think I could answer the question "what sort of music do you listen to?" anymore with a straight "genre" answer. I just listen to music I like. And it really helps. I hope I don't forget that again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

this is the place....